Translate

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Sharing Our NSD Story


This holiday break, while cleaning out the garage, I discovered a letter written back in 1943 by my Great Great Aunt Mary. It was addressed to my grandmother, Millie, and her sisters Dorothy and Wilma. My Grandmother and her sisters were just starting their adult life in Connecticut after being raised in an orphanage, and knew little of their family background. After a bit of research, they found Aunt Mary and reached out to her as a means of introduction and family connection.

Aunt Mary, who resided in North Dakota, had never met the girls, but wrote to them nonetheless with stories about their parents and relatives. She recounted memories from Thanksgiving of 1919, tales of my great grandparents’ courtship, descriptions of her current way of life, as well as her hopes, dreams, and desires for the future (specifically if Clarence would come through with the money for the gas iron that he promised her). Reading the letter, I was struck by the power of the written story, and the way that I felt transported to another time and place. I felt a connection to Aunt Mary, as well as a deep affection for my family.

This emotion inspired a desire in me to share the narrative of the National School District. As a new Superintendent, I have been out visiting schools, talking with parents, listening to staff, learning from students, attending community events, and enjoying getting to know our great city. Through this blog I hope to share these experiences with you and chronicle the story of our NSD family.

 My grandmother and her sisters reminiscing...





No comments:

Post a Comment