Translate

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Why I like Common Core

Parents always ask me if I like Common Core, and they are always surprised when I say yes. In fact, it happened to me even here in our district when I started this past fall.

Unfortunately, there is so much public rhetoric and "spin" around Common Core, that it is almost impossible to know what is true and what is propaganda. Parents often see ridiculous examples of math problems called "Common Core" and they worry about the future of education for their children.

The reality is, however, that we see bad implementation of new initiatives all the time. The good news is that Common Core are merely standards, and how we implement them is solely within our own control. Our old California Standards resembled school as most adults would remember it: knowledge building, skill practice, and content memorization. Common Core is taking learning to the level of applying those skills. To illustrate this, I will tell you a story of my own son's epiphany around Common Core.

Noa was in middle school. I can remember vividly Noa's constant questions of when he would ever need to use the skills he was being taught. Then, one day, Noa and his dad set out to build a simple half pipe skate ramp in the back yard. Quickly, Noa realized the value of solving simple equations, calculating slope, and plotting on a coordinate plane. He and his dad designed, planned, and constructed what would become a favored spot for Noa and his friends. "That," I told him, "is the promise of Common Core."



Of course, teachers cannot build half pipes in their classrooms, however we can strive to bridge learning to authentic application. In #NSDnow, we are doing this through the teaching of rigorous curriculum design units and engaging learning experiences. These approaches to Common Core implementation are critical to connecting standards with real life. To learn more about these units or experiences, I encourage you to reach out to your classroom teachers or even ask your kids!



When I ask a fourth grader, "why are you learning this?" I don't expect them to say, "I need to know this for fifth grade." Instead, if we implement Common Core correctly, they'll be able to express the relevancy of what they're learning... and that is why I like Common Core.

No comments:

Post a Comment